Thursday, June 3, 2010

I do, Muumuu?

What is it about Italian women of a certain age and muumuus? (For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the unflattering and seriously questionable fashion choice, click here.)

My mom has owned some form of muumuu for as long as I can remember. These garments generally surface as warm weather approaches, but are known to make random appearances throughout the year.

One recent shopping spree took us to a local flea market.

Mom: "Oh, good. I can get a new muumuu."
Me: "You know, just because you're Italian doesn't mean you have to wear the uniform."
Mom: "I like them. They're so soft and comfortable."
Me: "...and extremely flammable."
Mom: "I don't smoke."
Me: "Yeah, but you cook."

[silence]

Mom: "They're cheap and I'm getting one."
Me: "Why do they have such loud, ugly prints? Can't you find a solid one?"
Mom: "What do you care? You're not wearing it."
Me: "Yeah, but I gotta look at it -- and that's worse."
Mom: [beat] "They only come in prints."
Me: "Fine, but I'm helping you pick one out."

So, I found one that was the least hideous on the eyes: A lilac-and-white polka-dotted number for a whopping 13 bucks -- eight dollars extra than the variety of disastrous ones she could have purchased.

The entire ride home was about that eight dollars. It's not that mom's cheap -- she just likes a good deal. And, I guess she's right -- no one should have to pay more than $5 for something that friggin' ugly.



reddit
digg

3 comments:

  1. KILLIN' me!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. my nonna wears a muumuu! i have seen her in a muumuu more times than not over the course of my 27 year long life!

    ReplyDelete