Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Calling Gloria

As it's hurricane season, it's only fitting I share a story about Hurricane Gloria. Long Islanders will recall Hurricane Gloria as the bad-ass storm front that whipped island dwellers into a frothy mix for a few days back in the 80s.

I was just a pre-teen when it all went down, and (without going into gory detail) was experiencing one of my first "times of the month."

Some time during the storm, I ran out of what I needed to get by. So, when the eye of the storm was upon us, my dad and I rushed out to the local 7-11. When we parked, I told my dad I was too embarrassed to go in and buy what I needed.

Now, while he was not jumping for joy -- he bucked up like a good soldier and came to my rescue. Ahh, what fathers won't do for their daughters.

4 comments:

  1. My dad does the food shopping. When I was younger right before he would leave the house he would say "hey., do you need any tampoons?" yes that's right tampoons. Other times he would just come home with them and say. "I got you your tampoooons!"

    Oh off the boat Italian fathers are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lofl. tampoooooons! priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! My stepdad did all the grocery shopping in our house, and he would always buy them for us too. My stepdad, also Italian, is a very LOUD individual - so if we happened to be with him during a shopping excursion, he would always ask/yell: "WHAT KIND OF PADS DID YOU GIRLS NEED AGAIN?!" Omg, to a teenager? MORTIFYING! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, i would've DIED!!!!!!!!!!!

    Nuray

    ReplyDelete