Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hangin' with One-Fifth of the Rat Pack

1973. 

A long, long time ago, the place to be (and be seen) on Long Island was The Colony Hill. In it's heyday, the Colony booked in some pretty famous headliners, among them Henny Youngman and Joey Bishop.

Mom and Dad apparently dragged me to one such Joey Bishop performance. (What the hell did I know? I was all of 6 months old at the time.) The headliners were known to mingle with the audience after their performances, so naturally, Mom was all over this.

She managed to pull Joey Bishop aside and tell him:

"My daughter fell asleep during your show."

Bishop was taken aback. Picking up on that, Mom quickly did some damage control:

"Oh, she's just a baby!"

It should have ended there. But to add insult to injury, Mom added:

"By the way, say hi to Dean and Frank for me. I love them so much."

Right, like the first thing Bishop was gonna do when he got back to Vegas was make a B-line to Sinatra and Martin and say: "Hey, some lady on Long Island says 'Hi!'"




reditt
digg

No comments:

Post a Comment