Monday, December 28, 2009

Tonsillectomy

A few months ago, my mom and I were watching one of TLC's many unnecessary medical shows. I happened to notice that one of the surgeons had a hook where his hand had once been. Admittedly unPC, my reaction was one of shock.

"How does a surgeon manage to perform surgeries without the use of both hands?" I remarked.

To which my mom, without hesitation, said:

"That's why you never had your tonsils out."

Remember that scene in Weird Science, when the two main characters walk into the bar and the music comes to a screeching halt? Yeah, that's what my reaction to hearing what she said felt like. Just.Like.That.

Me: Whaaaaaat?
Mom: Well, when you were little, I asked a couple of your friend's mothers to recommend an ENT. So, I took you to visit this doctor and the entire time I could not see one of his hands. I saw what looked like a hook protruding from the arm of his lab coat. So, I didn't feel comfortable having him operate on you. But it turned out he didn't have a hook after all.
Me: Wait, what?
Mom: Well, at first, I didn't want to ask your friends' mothers about it, because I didn't want them to think I was insensitive. But, I was curious and finally asked. So, it must have been that he was holding on to the stethoscope and I mistook it for a hook.
Me: ...and this is why I never had my tonsils out?
Mom: Yeah.

There.Are.No.Words.



No comments:

Post a Comment